The Wolfson Children’s Challenge is coming down the track for the eighth time on January 28th, 2017, when participants from all over the community gather at The Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville to celebrate kids who receive care at Wolfson Children’s Hospital.
Presented by Thrivent Mutual Funds, the fun, family-oriented event honors 55 children who have benefited from the life-saving and life-changing care at Wolfson Children’s, and raises funds for the region’s not-for-profit pediatric referral center that serves more than 80,000 children of all ages each year, regardless of their ability to pay.
The inspiration for the Wolfson Children's Challenge came from Paul Wilson, whose newborn son, Luke, faced difficult surgery within hours of birth. Paul hoped to raise $5,000 by running 55 miles, the age of the hospital during his son's stay. Since then, the Wolfson Children’s Challenge has raised nearly $3 million for life-saving technology for children.
Wolfson Children’s Challenge events include:
- 55K (34.1 mile) Ultra Marathon/Relay (Start time 7 am)
- 30K (18.6 mile) Individual Run (Start time 8 am)
- Medal ceremony (Noon)
- 1-Mile Fun Run (1:30 pm, ideal for families)
- Home Depot Workshop for Kids
- Wolfie, the Wolfson Children’s Hospital mascot
- Bubbles Are My SuperPower
- Clowns by Gator Clowns
- Microsoft video games
- Bounce houses by Space Walk of Jacksonville
- Karate America information and demonstration
- Appearances by the Storm Troopers from the 501st Legion
- Bike helmet fittings by THE PLAYERS Center for Child Health – Safe Kids Northeast Florida
- An educational presentation and animals from The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens
- Performance by the band flipturn
- Jacksonville Jaguars’ D-Line
- Tin Can Photo Lounge
- Princess appearances by Girly-Girl Partea’s
Proceeds from this year’s event will fund a Technology and Equipment Support Endowment for Wolfson Children’s, which will be matched by Baptist Health for the Wolfson Children’s Challenge Endowment. For more information, please contact Baptist Health Foundation, 904.202.2919.
This year, it’s even easier to sign up and get race information with a simpler registration process and updated website that can be easily viewed on a tablet or mobile device. To sign up go to wolfsonchildrenschallenge.com. If you’d like to help raise money and you’re social media savvy or cannot attend the day of the event, you can create your very own personal fundraising campaign on Facebook! Click here for instructions!