The Babies Early Development Clinic (Babies ED) provides post-discharge follow-up care for newborns identified to be at-risk for developmental delays. Infants referred to Babies ED receive occupational, physical and/or speech therapy assessments at their most critical transitional or developmental periods. These evaluations could result in earlier identification of delays which would prompt timely and appropriate parent education and initiation of additional services.
Offering a direct connection to a team of professionals trained and experienced in working with premature and medically complex infants can provide parents an additional source of support after they take their infant home.
Any infant who received therapy services while in the Newborn or Pediatric Intensive Care Units or general medical floors at Wolfson Children’s Hospital may be eligible for referral to Babies ED. These infants typically have been identified with one or more of the following conditions while in the hospital:
- Low birth weight
- Breathing difficulties at birth
- Neurological deficits/abnormalities
- Genetic, endocrine, or metabolic disorders
- Chronic respiratory conditions
- Pulmonary hypertension
- History of maternal substance abuse
- Gastro-intestinal disorders
- Congenital cardiac abnormalities
- Congenital orthopedic problems
- Excessive irritability and/or sleepiness
Babies ED provides:
- Developmental assessments of “at risk” infants following discharge from the hospital
- In-depth discussion with family/caregivers regarding infant’s current level of function
- Parent education and individualized home program to facilitate development of age-appropriate movement, early social, and/or feeding skills.
- Recommendations for direct intervention of infants who demonstrate delayed or atypical developmental skills
- Community resource information for family/caregiver
Babies ED is offered several times monthly. Appointments are scheduled prior to discharge from hospital.
For more information, call 904.202-6521.
Wolfson Children's Rehabilitation
Babies Early Development Clinic (Babies ED)
Drew Bradbury Center
841 Prudential Drive, Suite 140
Jacksonville, FL 32207